Ballpark in Arlington

Ballpark in Arlington
Owls Win!!

Fellowship of Christian Athletes

Fellowship of Christian Athletes
Competitors for Christ

22 November 2009

Week 1 Assignment, Part 1 A & B: Requisite Technology Skills Assessment

The Texas Long Range Plan for Technology http://www.tea.state.tx.us/technology/techapp/assess/teksurv.pdf

The following paragraph from the Target Tech in Texas (T3) Collaborative Grant program guidelines document (page 9 of 47) summarizes what policymakers in Texas view as the ideal 21st century classroom environment:

In a 21st Century classroom, students have access to appropriate technology and digital resources for technology integrated curriculum activities on the campus, in the district, at home, or key locations in the community. Teachers seamlessly integrate technology in a student-centered learning environment where technology is used to solve real-world problems in collaboration with business, industry and higher education. Teachers and students apply technology across all subject areas to provide learning opportunities that are not possible without the technology. Teachers create and integrate web-based lessons which include TEKS-based content, resources, learning activities, and interactive communications that support learning objectives throughout the curriculum.

As I observe my tech skills improve daily, I find my refocusing almost weekly in an attempt to make student experiences in technology more relevant to their future. As I reflect upon the four domain areas of the Long Range Plan, I seem to always hover above the idea of "what do my current technology skills do for my students"? I address the ability of my students to acquire information and be able to evaluate and ethically utilize the chosen data in a variety of ways yet there always seem to be a few students that continue the trend of "not getting it".

The State Educational Technology Directors Association (SETDA) survey has to me, solidified my technology skills and opportunities for my future development in technology. The survey results in the Texas Long Range Plan for Technology prioritizes my technology skill set the SETDA includes my skills as a part of the overall school district focus for student learning and the necessary components to accomplish that goal.

As a principal and/or technology leader on my campus, I believe that my weakness fall in the area of administration and planning concerning the district technology plan. However, my overall hands-on knowledge according to the Texas Long Range Plan is 98%. My actual classroom experience regarding technology is greater than the norm and provides a solid foundation for on-target technology and integrated learning experiences for my campus.

As far as surveys are concerned, I always find a survey biased in the area of the survey. It always results in a positive slant to the survey author and leaves the survey responder without the opportunity to respond. No opportunities for "yeah buts" to the survey taker if you want to finish the survey as most districts require. Nevertheless, I do feel as though the surveys were generally accurate in content and expectations and therefore, I agree with the results the surveys emitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger